There is nothing quite like a fresh pressed corn tortilla; it always makes a lasting impression at a taco party especially if you try out our Turmeric Masa Hand Press Tortillas Recipe. Fresh pressed tortillas brighten all taco fillings and bring an added depth of corn flavor. Masa or “corn flour” is corn that is nixtamalized and ground into dough for tortillas.
It is super easy to make at home, only using four ingredients with the addition of ground turmeric. We add turmeric to our dough for an added antioxidant boost and for its luscious yellow color. Masa can be found in the baking section of your local market or can sometimes be produced locally through a Grist Mill. I choose to use Masa locally from The Plimoth Grist Mill.
I use an old school wooden tortilla presswith a long handle, but most presses can be found at a local department store or online at a kitchen goods supplier such as Williams Sonoma or Sur La Table. If you don’t have a tortilla press another option could be to roll the dough out with a rolling pin and use a round cookie cutter to shape tortillas or press with a heavy bottomed skillet. My 5yr old daughter loves helping out with the tortilla press- it's a really fun activity for kids!
2 cups masa harina (corn flour)
1 tsp kosher salt
1 ½ cups of warm water
½ tsp ground turmeric
1 tbs oil or ghee (for pan frying)
- Cut two pieces of parchment paper the size of your press and layer inside press
- Mix the masa, salt in turmeric in mixing bowl until combined.
- Pour warm water into mixing bowl and mix tortilla dough to combine.
- Use your hands and knead the tortilla dough for a minute or two until smooth and no longer sticky. If the dough is too sticky, more masa can be added to even it out. If it is too dry, add a bit more water until it comes together. The dough can easily be adjusted. Rest the dough for about 15- 30 minutes.
- Take dough and form various size balls similar to the shape of a ping pong ball and that should roughly make the size of a 6 inch tortilla. You can make smaller tortillas for a mini taco appetizer also.
- Place the ball, one at a time in between the two pieces of parchment and press down hard with the tortilla press.
- Remove tortilla and place on a sheet pan lined with parchment.
- Heat the skillet and cook tortillas 1-2 minutes on each side until lightly browned.
- Serve immediately or wrap in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.